Pre-amble of the Constitution of Shotokan South Africa
RECOGNISING THAT the members of this Organisation—
* are united in the common understanding that— the true purpose of Karate is not the winning of fights or tournaments. The true purpose of Karate is to perceive the truth of life through daily training, and to gain self-confidence and self-reliance (Masatoshi Nakayama Sensei, 1913 to 1987); and
* commit themselves to practising karate according to the five basic principles of Shotokan, namely that of Character; Sincerity; Effort; Etiquette and Self-control;
AND BEARING IN MIND THAT this Organisation—
* firmly believes that the affairs of any karate organisation should be conducted in a transparent, democratic and lawful manner based, among others, upon the principles of equal opportunity, non-racialism and non-sexism; and
* understands that a karate organisation cannot operate in isolation from other similar organisations, because to do so is not conducive to strengthening the sport in the Republic of South Africa;
AND THEREFORE this Organisation—
* will diligently invest time and effort in the training of its members, presenting the necessary opportunities for each individual member to fulfil his or her own potential to the fullest extent in his or her participation in Karate.
Follow this link to view our Constitution, signed February, 2016.